Friday, March 5, 2010

Downsizing (Part II)


In my previous post on Downsizing I discussed my move to a smaller home and how I'm shedding over half my possessions. I found an apartment and am moving Monday. The anticipation of being free from my possessions is exhilarating.

The reason I bring this up is not to put myself on some kind of pedestal, but rather to point out just how against the grain this act is. The "American Dream" is about more and more and more (stuff). At a cost of less and less time, love, education, health, freedom, self-determination, joy, etc.

The path to sustainability is about more and more and more time, love, education, health, freedom, self-determination, joy, etc. and less and less stuff.

I venture to guess that probably 90 percent of my U.S. readers have more than enough stuff. Are you better off with all the stuff?

I'll be honest, more stuff makes me less happy. Sure, acquiring new stuff temporarily gives me what I call a "Costco" high, but the thrill is gone in such a short time and then the long-term burden of ownership (maintenance, storage, insurance, moving, repair, disposal, etc.) kicks in.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Labels